Monday, December 22, 2008

The Bittersweet Return

United Flight UA7909 : Originally 6:50 - Now 9:55
Delay Reason: Aircraft Delayed

Wow, that's helpful. As I sit here in terminal B22B of Chicago O'Hare International Airport, I'm already noticing all the little differences between France and the U.S. People don't dress nearly as well. There is football on television. I forgot that even existed. There is snow on the ground, which I haven't really seen anywhere in Europe. At McDonald's (yes, I went there) they give you 5 ketchup packets instead of 2, and the small meal here is as large as France's "Super-Size" equivalent.

People are also loud. Why do they need to speak so loudly? Do they think that I'm interested in what they have to say? Well I'm not.

Not that it's bad to be back in the US, aside from wanting to say "pardon" and "excusez-moi" when I brush by somebody, the English is nice, although a little weird. Everything seems so easy. I mean, I don't have much trouble communicating in France, but it's extra effort.

But Honestly, I've been traveling all day, and I really just want to be home. Seeing the family and the dog, having a comfortable bed and a shower with enough room to move around in will be great.

Zurich to Chicago was delayed 1.5 hours or so, and my plane to St. Louis is delayed 3 hours. This is both a blessing and a curse though, since if it ran on time I would not have made it thanks to an abnormally long baggage claim process. Amy's flight was at 6:10, and luckily hers was delayed too, although by not as much. What's really strange is that our two flights home were the only ones delayed...

I guess we're meant to be home today. I certainly want to be.

No comments: